Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Southern California-style Spring Weekend Brunch

The hubs is on a production job three thousand miles away, for three months. I would love to be articulate about that, but I'm not going to. It sucks. So, I made a brunch that I thought we would enjoy if he were here sitting on the deck with me. This is also known as sulking.

Starting the morning with fresh berries, citrus, and sparkling water will cheer up everyone but the reincarnated 20th century French woman within me needing to add butter to something, anything. However, using the hubs' clean palate as inspiration, light flavor combinations became the stars of the table, no butter or snooty Frenchwoman required.
 
Southern California-style Spring Weekend Brunch
Intelligentsia coffee
Mineral water infused with thyme
Grapefruit drizzled with cinnamon honey
Fresh blueberries, raspberries and blackberries over plain, whole milk yogurt


Serves: one sulking blogger
Active time: ten minutes

Ingredients: 
one bottle sparkling mineral water
one handful, or about a half a package of thyme
one grapefruit (I used a Ruby)
a pinch of grated cinnamon
one teaspoon cinnamon-infused honey
Six ounces plain yogurt
one half cup mixed fresh berries
To infuse water, rinse a handful of thyme sprigs and roll between your hands to release some of the scent.  Pour off about a half cup of water from the bottle to make room for the thyme. Add thyme to the bottle and let sit for ten minutes. Pour water into flutes, garnishing each flute with a sprig of thyme.



Next, halve a grapefruit width-wise, grate a little cinnamon stick on top, then drizzle with about a teaspoon of cinnamon-infused honey, and set aside.

 
In a separate bowl, add yogurt and a half cup of clean, dry berries, and set your solo table with grapefruit, bottle of water, and coffee, and enjoy this easy, refreshing start to a day. I suspect it would pull one out of a hangover, as well.


It's just you and me now, moocow.

5 comments:

  1. have you ever tried grilling your gratefruit? after you put honey on, stick it in the broiler for a few minutes, the fruit gets a bit warm and the honey a little carmelized....delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post and total change up in your photos! Love them. No question why they were published. Feels like I was there with you.....and wish I was knowing you are brunching solo! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on this one - my husband left on deployment a week ago, and I too have nursing a little feeling sorry for myself attitude! I especially like the Serves: one sulking blogger. Chin up, stay busy, and it will be over before you know it! At least that's what I keep telling myself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serves one sulking blogger! Love it. Well, I don't love that you are sulking and husbandless. I would totally sulk too. But hey, looks like you're making the most of it. Kudos to you, CM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks tasty.. I would add a little slice of cheese.. like a wedge of Laughing Cow...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Stay positive!