Sunday, March 27, 2011

Top 8 most-used kitchen items, or, the last items in the moving box.

There have been a few travelin' posts up in my social medias lately.  These correspond with work trips to Washington, DC, Boston, and a move between apartments taking place this week.  During a moment of frazzled procrastination, I hovered over the last open box of kitchen items, to be shut the morning of moving day, and observed.

The last things used and placed into a box marked "kitchen" were:


1. Rishi green tea with mint, loose.
2. Teaspoon measure set
3. Digital thermometer
4. Global 5.5" vegetable knife, an ode to which can be found here, in makeshift cardboard sheath.
5. Knife sharpening steel. Ode to that can be found here.
6. Wood oil. Another ode, here. How predictable.
7. Vegetable scrubber.
8. French rolling pin. Used most recently to smash something, not roll something.

Interesting the difference in the list if I let my left brain kick in and imagine hurriedly grabbing 8 items out of the kitchen for some made-up reason. I mean, really, a vegetable scrubber and tea?

My left-brain list of top 8 kitchen items:
1. That Global knife. My left hand in the kitchen.
2. Knife sharpener. Duh.
3. 9" All-Clad saute pan.
4. restaurant supply tongs, my right hand.
5. this OXO measuring cup set
6. wooden cutting board
7. Silicone spatula
8. sea salt

So. What does this mean? It means someone is overthinking the facts of moving, has too much stuff, and can't wait to unpack and start cooking again.  What 8 items can you not live without in your kitchen?

5 comments:

  1. rubber spatula
    microplane
    measuring cups & spoons
    my sharpest knife
    garlic mincer
    cookie scoops
    hand mixer
    kitchen scale
    dishwasher-safe cutting board
    wine opener!

    oops, that's 10!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bodum single serve coffee press
    Wustof chef’s knife
    Wustof pairing knife
    John boos cutting board
    Reindeer antler beer opener (Norwegian husband…)
    Juicer
    Aged wooden spoons
    Set of measuring cups
    All clad sauté pan

    Woops…that’s nine! Guess I’d give up the juicer if I had to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ceramic Chefs knife (it never needs sharpening. I loooove it.)
    French press
    Dutch oven
    Mini food processor
    Kitchen shears
    Wooden spoon(s)
    Glass Pyrex Measuring cups
    Cleaver

    I also use my microplane zester more than I'd care to admit. I love love love that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the reindeer antler bottle opener!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have fond memories of you telling me, way back when... "I don't want to own anything more than will fit into a VW Bug". it is good to see that the desire to be prepared to fly on a moment's notice has not left you.

    Love the blog.

    -Paul S.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Stay positive!