Sunday, March 20, 2011

Finishing Salt.

Last weekend, with the help of the Natural Products Expo West in Anaheim, California, I found Falksalt. It was among a hundred other amazing foods and spices that caught my palate and eye, but its website pushed it into my top ten list from the show.

This volcanic ash-tinted sea salt had me at the packaging, but after looking at Falksalt's about page, I learned that they are Swedish, they have been around for 180 years, and they have a statement below an image of a Viking ship that reads, "This time we come in peace."  I laughed out loud. New Favorite Salt.


Imagine finishing salmon with this salt and pink peppercorns, or adding a dash to dulce de leche ice cream.  I'm making stuff up here, but doesn't all of that sound good? Its unusual color and pedigree, combined with the packaging makes it a bit of a vanity ingredient in the kitchen, but what are those if not inspiring ingredients to work with? Ingredients that help me dress up something store-bought or add interest to a simple ingredient are my friends.

Burwell General Store approves!






I wished it was in my kitchen for this salmon, or this salad. Next time.

And no, I don't do paid product reviews. I only write about things I want in my kitchen and think you might like to try, too. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Stay positive!