Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Rockenwagner Bakery.

Yesterday,  on Third and Arizona in Santa Monica, California,  I was on my way to find sushi for lunch, but I like the color orange, so I stepped inside to take a look at the menu in the Rockenwagner bakery and cafe. (Sorry there's no umlaut over my "o".  My current font package just can't handle the concept.)


If Porsche Design thinks these sandwiches are engineered well enough for them to eat, then they are certainly good enough for me.

Hello, new lunch plans of pretzel bread shaped in mini-baguettes and stuffed with smoked turkey and cranberry spread.  Behind that, a chicken curry salad sandwich on multi-grain demi. If it was my world, the power of fresh bread would stop wars. The sandwiches, unfussy and balanced with savory and sweet notes in each (the tart of curry and sweet corn kernels, the salt of pretzel bread with cranberry sauce) come in two sizes, enabling and regular, enabling me to have two sandwiches for lunch. 

 
Taking the tip jar to new heights. A rare flare of artistry from such an industrious people.

And then...
Light rye and raisin challah-style breads.
I ran into Rockenwagner's booth today at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market. I was not stalking them.  This was a true coincidence.   The guy on the other side of the table mentioned their three (yay) locations in Los Angeles and that all the bread and pastry is baked out of a Culver City bakery.  At least, I think that's what he said.  I wasn't really listening because I was trying to decide what to buy.

Mixed nut cranberry pastry.
It is refreshing to walk up to people who appear to take the history of food and the quality of it seriously.  In this week of giving thanks, I am thankful that I like the color orange, and that my eye is caught by good design, and that like my German Shepherd, my actions are motivated by good food.  That combination sent me off on an unexpected food detour that lasted through two meals.

Rockenwagner Bakery
311 Arizona Avenue, between 3rd and 4th Streets, north side of street
Santa Monica, CA, 90401
310-394-4267

Wheelchair users: The bakery is on the ground floor and level, with indoor and outdoor seating. There are curb ramps at either end of the block and meters out front if you're lucky enough to snag one. There are two parking structures on 4th street that are fully accessible with elevators, but if you're willing to trek a couple of blocks, the public structure at 1235 2nd street on the east side of 2nd between Arizona and Santa Monica has great main level handicap accessible parking immediately after entering the garage. The ramp servicing this section leads straight to sidewalk level.

Map of Santa Monica parking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Stay positive!